Monday 3 January 2011

Printing Techniques: Deconstructive Screen Printing


Deconstructive Screen Printing:

I found this technique great! (Although the paste didnt smell so good). It gives off a great effect and its all about experiementing. I used thickened coloured dye on a screen and let it dry for a day. The next day i placed the materials i was using in place, popped the screen over my paper and used soda ash paste to "push" the dye off my screen and onto my paper. It works like a chemical reaction so the longer you leave the paste on the screen without pulling in off, the more dye that will be left on your paper.




Firstly i cut some cardboard to A6 size for my base. I then planned out what picture i wanted to use, because of the effect that the print gives off i decided to use a pictire from Bath as the finishing print hardly gives off the elegant effect that Bath has. so add texture i cut out the rrailings on a seperate piece of cardboard and stuck it to the A6 cardboard. I then added surfaces such as bubble wrap, wire and foil to add more layers. Once i had finished this i let it dry completly and used the thickened dye to print it with.

 
My first print is below, as you can see the first one has the least ink on, so the effect is minimal but because its quite clean cut you can see it clearly and the surfaces i used.


  My second print is below. Here the soda ash paste started to work with the dye to release it more. There is a wider range in tones and is starting to deconstruct.



My Final Print was my favourite, here the print really is decontructed and the surfaces are shown well, the range in colour helps show depth and distance.

No comments:

Post a Comment